Saturday, December 7, 2013

Illustration Friday - PATTERN

Have you ever made a repeating pattern?  I've been wanting to for some time now but hadn't gotten around to it.  This week's theme of PATTERN at Illustration Friday was just the push that I needed to get going.
I started with a piece of 5" square cardstock and doodled a design in the middle of the page.
The first step is to cut your paper and half and tape it back together - super scary first step!!
BTW - I followed the tutorial found here at Design Sponge.
Then cut your paper in half again the other way and tape back together so that your design element that used to be in the middle is now on the outside.  It amazes me how a doodle that seemed so substantial still left so much white space once it was cut up!!
Then get busy doodling in the middle of your design.  Here is my finished doodle that then got

scanned into the computer and tweaked a bit in Photoshop Elements.  First, you have to save your design as a pattern (Edit   Define Pattern).  Then open a new Blank File (Edit   Fill Layer   Use:Pattern) and fill your file with your pattern!!  Cool, huh?
Sunday Sketches

12 comments:

Clare Lloyd said...

cool idea and fab pattern. must try this one out.

Unknown said...

That is so super cool. I have never thought about patterns in quite that way.

Yours is stunning - I would love to see it as wrapping paper, or a note book cover!

x

Michelle said...

Amazing! I am going to try this. I still haven't figured out PSE, and I've had it over 12 months now! Your pattern is fabulous, Michelle!

Lynda said...

Wow! I had no idea how to do this. I really love learning something new. Thanks.

Carla (Color Heals Me) said...

Thanks! I always wondered how to do a pattern. this make is look doable! I love your doodles!

denthe said...

Oh wow Michelle, thankyouthankyouthankyou!! You don't know how long I've been wondering how to make seamless patterns and then I visit your blog and voila: a nice and clear tutorial! LOVE it! Gotta try it real soon. I love the nice Christmassy pattern that you created!

Kimberly Jones said...

That's beautiful Michelle! I'm glad you figured it out and shared the process. Now I can try it too! Truly gorgeous pattern!

Alexandra MacVean said...

I just love this and the work you do. Your detail is amazing! :)

alarmcat said...

this turned out really great!! very cool :)

SLScheibe said...

Super cool! What a gorgeous pattern! I love black and white art.

Ileana said...

Beautiful. Definitely trying this at home! :)

Giggles said...

A million thank yous for this tutorial...I have always wanted to know how to make patterns!! This is gorgeous too!! Now you can go to spoonflower and check it out!!

Hugs Giggles