Sunday, November 17, 2013

My First Papercut. . .

Hands down one of my favorite artists is Elsa Mora - her talent is abundant in so many different medias - painting, jewelry, papercuts, ceramics, bookmaking, etc.  A particular favorite of mine is her intricate, detailed papercuts.  They are not only beautiful but tell such amazing stories.
I was thrilled when she started her newest blog "All About Papercutting" that includes an online shop featuring several collections of downloadable patterns that you can cut yourself!  I've always wanted to try this art but was intimidated at trying to come up with a pattern.  For my first attempt I chose Collection #1 of the flower patterns. 
There is an easy to follow tutorial on the site and I am happy to report it was great fun!!  Not nearly as scary as I thought it would be and my very first attempt turned out great!  The only problem I had (if you would call this a problem) is that I cut my pattern from super thick Papertrey Ink cardstock - while this cardstock is the best in my opinion for papercrafting it was a bit thick for cutting but it makes for a sturdy end product.
Be sure and visit Elsa Mora's new blog Art Is A Way where she features not only her work but the work of other artists that she admires.  
This won't be my only papercut - I'm off now to decide which one I want to tackle next!!

2 comments:

Vicki Miller said...

This is gorgeous. i am afraid I'm too impatient to cut such beautiful things, but I will stitch them!

Judy Hartman said...

This is beautiful! I love Elsa's work too.
Paper cutting is such a lovely art!