Saturday, November 3, 2012

AEDM (Day 3) - Citra Solv Adventures. . .

50 points if you know what the above picture is. . .
Nope.  Guess again . . .
Still no. . . .
Sorry - give up yet?
Don't feel bad if you didn't guess that the picture is of multiple pages from a National Geographic that have been altered with Citra Solv.  (This technique seems to only work with old National Geographic magazines due to the ink/paper that was used at the time.)
Bonus points if you figured out that this was the latest endeavor with Kim on our monthly "crafty date".
Here's a video link and a print article if you'd like to try this yourself - 
"MOONSCAPE"
This technique is messy!!!  Really messy - we played outside and I laid my sheets on Kim's lawn to dry and then spent considerable time chasing them all over the place because it was a windy day.  I was totally ready to scale the fence if one of my favorites sailed into the neighbor's yard!!
"CUBA"
While most of the pages aren't even remotely decipherable from the original, look closely, on this one you can just make out that it is a town scene and if you look even closer you can see the one area where the ink
didn't dissolve - don't ya just love the little group of people??!!  You never know what you are going to get with a technique like this - so if you are super controlling this might not be the thing for you.  TIP: Wear gloves.  Kim and I had stains on our hands for over a week.  That ink may melt on the paper but it sure doesn't budge from skin!!
BONUS: This is the best smelling art you will ever make!  I keep the sheets in a paper holder and when I open it the citrus smell wafts straight out!
Check out all the creativity on Art Every Day Month

10 comments:

denthe said...

Interesting technique and amazing results. Thnx for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

interessante...devo cercare se c'è anche in Italia

Janet said...

You got some great results. I love the one with the people. Playing with Citra Solv is so much fun. Thanks for reminding me. I might just play with some today.

bellefrogworks said...

I also love the one with the people! All of them are interesting though

Tracey FK said...

okay that looks like fun.... wonder why it only works on that paper... and nice that a solvent smells nice for a change...xx

Unknown said...

What awesome results! I love the abstractness of them x

Kimberly Jones said...

This s such a fun experiment! I love your Moonscape and the Cuba page is so cool. Love the people on that one. This was a very messy project but so exciting to try!

Viola said...

Oh!! I could never have guessed that! How creative you are! =)

No 3 is outstanding!! =)I love it!

No 4 and 5 I also fancy much! A street with people, the buildnings along.. so impressive!! =)

Teri said...

Love your "Cuba" art! I'll have to try this sometime soon.

Brenda Stevens said...

THIS IS SO COOL!!! I so want to do this now!